It’s basically a brain dump of bookmarks and other hints to get started.
Internet of Lego
- Facebook Page
- Updates on blog posts and tons of project pictures
- A wonderful Node.js framework for working with GPIOs on a huge variety of devices.
- A Node.js robotics framework for controlling lots of devices easily.
- Representational State Transfer is ideal for easily interface with remote systems using a standard web URI
- Arduino aREST library provides a simple way to interact with an Arduino or similar project.
- Express with NodeJS is great library for making backend API solutions. This write-up by Scotch.io will get you started.
- Use ngrok to easily expose web services on your computer (localhost) or “thing” without changing firewall rules. Amazing utility!
- Use PostMan to easily interact with your REST API without coding. A life saver for API development.
- web sockets NodeJS universal wrapper
- Publish/Subscribe messaging protocol
- Arduino PubSubClient library provides a simple way to utilize MQTT
- Pub/Sub enterprise messaging service
- A RaspberryPi image with Node-Red preconfigured. Very handy!
- “MicroPython is a lean and efficient implementation of the Python 3programming language that includes a small subset of the Python standard library and is optimised to run on microcontrollers and in constrained environments.”
- Mongoose OS
System on a Chip
Micro computers that run an operating system such as Linux. These are great for running high level languages (NodeJS, Python, etc).
- Raspberry Pi
- The flagship credit-card sized dev computer
- Beagle Bone Black
- BeagleBone Black is a low-cost, community-supported development platform for developers and hobbyists.
Small IC chips that run lower level code (C, C++, assembly) which are ideal for low power and repetative tasks.
- Open source hardware microcontroller
- SunFounder Sensor Kit
- A variety of sensors to get the creative ideas flowing
- Reed switch
- Detects magnetic fields
- Humidity and temperature
- Light sensitive resistory
- Ultrasonic distance sensor
- An open source hardware initiative for creating circuit diagrams.
A good start for finding DIY electronics (non-sponsored).
- This is the best book to get started with programming robotics/IoT with NodeJS.
- MQTT Basics
- A comprehensive guide to understanding MQTT